Sunday, December 24, 2006

My Interests No 2 Music - More from the early years

Music - More from the early years Current mood: good Category: Music
I have been listening to Blue Oyster Cult recently and because music often revives memories, it has reminded me of the 1st time I drank beer in a pub.When I was 15 I went to see Blue Oyster Cult at Bingley Hall, Stafford. I went by car with 2 school mates Steve (Wolfie) Wolfenden, John (Davo) Davies, my Maths teacher Mr Hillyard and my History teacher Mr Stone. Mr Stone had a wild mop of curly hair and a beard that any member of ZZ Top would be proud of. After seeing Mr Stone at a parent's evening, my Dad would refer to him as 'The Aborigine'.We arrived at Stafford early so the teachers said they were going to the pub and left us to our own devices. A visit to the chippy was decided upon and Wolfie ordered 1st. After spotting the 12 inch long sausages, he said to the young girl behind the counter 'A portion of chips and a sausage as big as my d*ck' I went into hysterics at this point. Schoolboy humour obviously!After scoffing our chips Davo suggested we visit the pub. I was a bit worried about this because I was the youngest looking. Wolfie was 6ft 2in tall with long blonde hair (he looked like a young mid 70s Rick Wakeman) and so would have no trouble getting served. Davo and I both shaved regularly, Davo every other day, me every other week! I couldn't lose face in front of my mates so said 'Yeah, lets go for a drink' and I think I even said something about copping for a barmaid.On entering the pub, Davo asked what we were drinking and I said 'A pint', he said 'A pint of what?' 'Beer' I niaively answered. 'So Lager then?' Davo enquired, 'OK, I will have that instead' I replied making it obvious that I wasn't an experienced drinker.While Davo went to the bar, I headed to the darkest, most secluded corner I could find so as not to draw attention to myself. After about 5 mins I noticed a huge fella, with a shaved head and covered in tattoos who was stood at the bar staring intently at me. When he realised that I had noticed him, he slowly walked over to our table. As he towered over me, with me cowering on my stool, he picked my pint up and had a good long look at it. I remember he had 'HATE' tattooed on his hand, something I thought never happened in real life. Only convicts in B movies have HATE tattooed on their knuckles surely? 'What's your pint like?' he said in a voice that would make 'I am going to give you all my money' sound like a threat.Now take a moment to ponder the scene. I am 15, 100 miles from home, in a pub for the 1st time in my life, obviously under age and some gorilla covered in tattoos is asking me about my pint. 'It's lovely, I mean it's great, a really good pint' I stuttered. He looked at it again and said 'This doesn't look good to me'. 'That's it' I thought, 'He's about to kick me out' when he said 'This pint looks cloudy to me. Take it back to the bar and get another one. If that censored behind the bar says anything, I'll censored him!' 'No its alright honestly!' I stammered drinking the rest of the pint as quickly as I could. We then made a hastey exit and headed towards the gig. Just as I thought I had got away without embarassing myself too much, the pint of lager and the chips decided they weren't staying down and I threw the lot up, all over my new cowboy boots!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home